Hey there! If you’re looking to spruce up your home decor, you might want to consider adding some floating shelves. These shelves not only provide a functional storage solution, but they also add style and visual interest to your walls. In this post, I’ll be discussing why floating shelves are a great addition to any home, the different types available, and how to install them. Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
Mistana Ines True 3 Piece Wall Shelf Set
What are floating shelves?
Floating shelves, also known as invisible shelves, are a type of shelving that attach to walls without any visible support brackets or hardware. They give the impression that they are floating, hence the name. They are typically made from sturdy materials such as wood, metal, or glass.
Why are floating shelves a great addition to any home?
There are several reasons why floating shelves are a great choice for your home:
- They create a minimalist look that doesn’t take up much visual space.
- They can be used to display photos, decorative items, and plants, which can add a personal touch to any room.
- They are an affordable way to add storage space to your home without sacrificing style.
- They are versatile and can be used in various rooms, such as the living room, bedroom, bathroom, or kitchen.
What are the different types of floating shelves?
Gracie Oaks Carissa 2 Piece Poplar Solid Wood Floating Shelf
There are several types of floating shelves you can choose from, depending on your style and needs:
- Wooden shelves: These are the most traditional type of floating shelves and are available in various finishes and shapes. They are perfect for a rustic or bohemian look.
- Metal shelves: Metal floating shelves have a more modern and industrial feel. They are great for a minimalist or contemporary look.
- Glass shelves: Glass floating shelves are perfect for displaying decorative items, as they allow light to pass through them. They are a great option for a sleek and elegant look.
- Corner shelves: These are floating shelves that fit into corners, making use of otherwise unused space. They are perfect for small rooms or apartments.
- Custom shelves: If you can’t find the perfect floating shelf for your space, you can always have one custom-made to your specifications.
Weatherall 2 Piece Solid Wood Floating Shelf
What are the benefits and advantages of using floating shelves?
Here are some of the benefits and advantages of using floating shelves:
- They take up minimal space and create a clutter-free look.
- They are versatile and can be used in almost any room.
- They can be used to display decorative items, which can add color and texture to a room.
- They can be easily installed without the need for bulky hardware.
- They are an affordable way to add storage space to your home.
- They can be used as a stylish room divider, creating distinct zones in an open floor plan.
How do you install floating shelves?
Trent Austin Design 3 Shelves Wood Floating Wall Shelf
Installing floating shelves is a simple process that can be done by anyone with basic DIY skills. Here’s how to do it:
- Choose the location for your shelves and mark the spots where you want to install the brackets.
- Use a stud finder to locate the wall studs, which will provide the most secure support for your floating shelves. Mark the center of each stud with a pencil.
- Attach the brackets to the wall using screws and wall anchors. Make sure they are level and properly aligned with the wall studs.
- Slide the shelf onto the brackets until they click into place.
- Repeat the process for each shelf, adjusting the spacing as desired.
What are some tips for styling floating shelves?
Wall & Display Shelves
Once your floating shelves are installed, it’s time to start styling them. Here are some tips to help you create a cohesive and stylish look:
- Start by choosing a color scheme for your shelves. This could be based on the room’s existing decor or a new color palette you want to introduce.
- Vary the heights and sizes of the items you place on the shelves to create visual interest.
- Mix and match different textures, such as wood, glass, metal, and ceramic, for a more eclectic look.
- Use decorative items such as vases, candles, and plants to add color and visual appeal to the shelves.
- Group items together in odd numbers, as this is more visually appealing than even numbers.
- Use books as a styling tool, stacking them horizontally and vertically to add interest and height to your shelves.
- Don’t overcrowd your shelves, as this can detract from the overall look. Leave some negative space to give your items room to breathe.
And there you have it! Floating shelves are a simple and stylish addition to any home. With the right type, installation, and styling, they can add a unique touch to your walls and provide valuable storage space.