If you’re looking for a way to add character and functionality to your living room, consider incorporating shelves into your fireplace design. Here are some ideas and tips to get you started!
Table of Contents
Fireplace with Display Shelves
Fireplace with display shelves is a popular design that combines the warmth of a fireplace with the practicality of shelves. It involves adding shelving units to the sides or above a fireplace, creating space for books, décor, and other display items.
There are many reasons to incorporate shelves into your fireplace design. Here are a few:
- Increased storage: Shelves provide ample storage space for books, electronics, and other items you want to keep nearby.
- Improved aesthetics: Adding shelves to your fireplace can create a more visually appealing space, especially when styled with décor.
- More functionality: Shelves can help make your fireplace area more functional, by providing a place to store items like remotes, magazines, and books.
- Increased home value: Adding shelves to your fireplace can increase the overall value of your home, potentially making it more appealing to potential buyers.
Different Types of Fireplace Designs:
There are many different types of fireplace designs you can choose from when incorporating shelves. Here are a few popular options:
- Built-in shelving units on either side of the fireplace, which match the style and color of the fireplace surround.
- A wraparound mantel that includes shelving, which can be added above or around the fireplace.
- Floating shelves, which can be easily added to the wall above the fireplace for a more contemporary look.
There are many benefits to incorporating shelves into your fireplace design. Here are a few:
- Increased storage space: As mentioned above, adding shelves above or around your fireplace can create additional storage that may be lacking in your living room.
- Aesthetically pleasing: The addition of shelves can create a more dynamic and visually appealing space. It can also help to create a focal point in the room.
- Improved functionality: Shelves provide a functional purpose, allowing you to keep items like books, remotes, and other items within reach.
- Increased home value: Depending on the quality of the design, adding shelves to your fireplace could increase the overall value of your home, making it more appealing to potential buyers.
Here are some of the advantages of incorporating shelves into your fireplace design:
- Customizable: Shelves can be tailored to your individual tastes and preferences. They can be designed to match the style and color of your fireplace, as well as the overall aesthetic of your home.
- Easy to install: In many cases, shelves can be a relatively easy addition to make to your existing fireplace. Floating shelves, in particular, are easy to install without professional help.
- Multifunctional: Shelves can serve many purposes, allowing you to store items, display décor, and even hide cords and electronics.
If you’re considering incorporating shelves into your fireplace design, here are a few basic steps to follow:
- Choose your design: Decide on the type of shelving you want to incorporate, and determine the style and color that will match your existing décor.
- Measure the space: Measure the space where you want to install the shelves, ensuring that they fit the space properly.
- Purchase materials: Purchase the necessary materials, including shelves, hardware, and any other tools you’ll need for installation.
- Install the shelves: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation, or hire a professional if necessary.
- Add décor: Once the shelves are installed, add your favorite décor items to create a visually appealing space.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when incorporating shelves into your fireplace design:
- Choose quality materials: Shelves that are designed to withstand the heat from a fireplace are essential for safety and durability.
- Complement your existing décor: Choose a shelving design that will complement, rather than clash with, your existing décor. It’s important to create a cohesive look.
- Keep it clutter-free: While shelves are great for storage, it’s essential to avoid clutter. Keep your display items to a minimum to create a visually appealing space.
- Maintain regularly: Keep your shelves and fireplace clean and well-maintained to ensure they last for years to come.
There you have it! With a little planning and creativity, incorporating shelves into your fireplace design can add both functionality and visual appeal to your living room.